Help “LIFT” The People Of Louisiana Back On Their Feet and Back Into Their Homes – Donate Today!
Katrina. Rita. Gustav. Ike. Those are names that continue to echo through the vacant neighborhoods. But despite the broken boards and cluttered streets…there is still hope. There is a hope and a drive to resurrect those homes and restore those neighborhoods. This hope is being fueled through the passion for people and application of new/sustainable building techniques developed in partnership by TRAC and other organizations.
Sustainable Affordable Rural-Coastal Housing Development
In the aftermath of Hurricanes Katrina & Rita in November 2005 a unique partnership formed with TRAC, to design sustainable affordable housing for the rural coastal bayou regions of Louisiana. A true collaborative effort, the Lift House has been designed in partnership with Oxfam America, Sigus-MIT, and TRAC and encompasses fiscal investments from the American Red Cross, Catholic Social Services, Church World Service, Katrina Square Dancers/Lift House Building Fund, LA Disaster Recovery Foundation, St. Vincent de Paul Society, and United Way for South Louisiana.
This pilot project which consists of designing and constructing 5 homes that can withstand Category 5 hurricane force winds constructed on five different bayou communities has multi-faceted goals:
1. Replacement of destroyed homes for low-to-moderate income families that could not afford to rebuild without financial assistance.
2. Homes are designed and built to comply with International Building Code requirements for Coastal Zone Construction which includes elevations of an average of 10 – 14ft above sea level.
3. Homes are energy efficient to help reduce energy consumption and lower monthly utility expenses.
4. Homes will serve as a model of affordable sustainable construction.
Moving beyond the pilot phase our strategies are:
- Form a core group of community members, investors, builders to support the continuation of this initiative beyond the disaster recovery dollars that currently support it.
- Convene local/parish groups interested in engaging in a dialogue around a wider program of sustainable, affordable housing communities within the bayous.
- Share experiences and provide technical assistance with other communities, foundations, financers on the Gulf Coast about the Lift House / Sustainable Coastal Housing Initiative.
To get involved with the Louisiana Lift House project contact Peg Case.